Monday, December 09, 2013

Marriage 601, Lecture 654: Dry as dust, just like my mom used to make

Me: What should we have for Thanksgiving?

SH: Steak.

Me: What else?

SH: I don't know. You said something about Caesar salad.

Me: I guess.

SH: I could grill the lettuce.

Me: That might be good.

SH: Or creamed onions. We could have creamed onions.

Me: I don't want to be cooking all day.

SH: All you do is throw the stuff in a pot and cook it!

Me: What?! No! You have to make a cream sauce, which means starting with a roux and then adding milk. It's some work.

[I reach for my notebook and start writing.]

SH: What are you doing?

Me: Writing this down.

SH: For your blog?

Me: Yes. Of course.


SH: But you just open a can of soup. That's all. If you write down that I said it's no work, then you are not being accurate.

Me: Whatever. I am not aiming for accuracy here.

SH: It's just soup.

Me: Soup?

SH: It's my mom's recipe. I want you to make my mom's recipe.

Me: [long silence, as SH's mom is not the best cook in the world or even anywhere close. SH thinks that Oreos are the best cookies ever, probably because he never had a decent homemade cookie when he was a kid.]

SH: It's just the Cream of Shrimp soup, some sherry,* and the onions.

Me: Oh. OK. That's not much work.




* When SH's parents are involved, alcohol is never far away.]

No comments: