Monday, December 30, 2013

Marriage 601, Lecture 796: 911

My sister's wedding was in Colorado Springs but we flew out of Denver to come home. We arranged to meet a friend of SH's for lunch in downtown Denver before going to the airport. SH had arranged everything. He gave me the name of the restaurant and the address, then he drove while I navigated, which has become a considerably easier task since I learned how to use the talking GPS on my phone.

I looooove the talking GPS lady on my phone. I do have a very good sense of space, although I have never done well on those tests where you are supposed to figure out what the box looks like once it is folded. You know, from the Iowa Basic Skills tests we took in ninth grade - they show you the diagram of a box flattened out - and then you have to pick the drawing of what it looks like once it's assembled. I don't know what skill they were testing for with that one, but whatever it is, I should avoid that profession because I got only an 80 on that section.

Anyhow, if I can see a map of a place so I can get a picture in my mind and then if I have a map, I am fine, unless I am traveling in a place like the Bay Area where they don't believe in putting signs up. If I am looking for the Embarcadero exit, it helps to have a sign noting that the Embarcadero exit is approaching, to give me time to get into the exit lane, and then a sign announcing the exit. But California doesn't appear to believe in that kind of signage. Perhaps they are worried that the Germans are going to invade.

So in a place where things are not marked well, the GPS lady is a lifesaver. She got us from my mom's house in Colorado Springs to the restaurant in downtown Denver and she even knew which streets are one way.

Thank you, GPS lady.

SH and I parked and then walked to the restaurant. Mike was not there yet.

The restaurant was not open.

As in, completely dark. Door locked.

And this is where, once again, you see the divergence in how SH approaches problems and how I approach them. He is the engineer, determined to take everything apart to figure out why it isn't working, which is a good approach in a production environment where you expect the problem to be replicated.

In real life, when all you want to do is eat lunch, it is maybe not the appropriate approach.

What SH did:

1. Cupped his hand over his eyes, leaned into the window, and looked into the restaurant to see if anyone was there.
2. Exclaimed, "But it's not open! Why isn't it open?"
3. Looked for a sign on the door proclaiming hours. There was none - the restaurant was not doing it right.
4. Whipped out his phone and looked up the restaurant on yelp.com to find the hours. The hours were not posted on yelp.com. Informed me that the restaurant and yelp were not doing it right.
5. Called Mike to inform him that the restaurant was not open.

What I did:

1. Looked up and down the street for other restaurants.
2. Saw a restaurant next door.
3. Walked to the other restaurant, put our name on the wait list, asked how long it would be (ten minutes), and returned to SH.

What happened:

Mike showed up. We walked next door. We ate at the other restaurant.

It was easy.

No comments: