Friday, December 27, 2013

Travel tales: A perfect guest room


SH and I went to California, as you guys know, because I told you that I met Lisa there and did other California things. I forgot to mention how cool it is to meet other people because of this blog. I have made some really neat friends via CF. In person, I have met Rubiatonta and Holly and have become facebook friends with several more bloggers whom I hope to meet in person someday: Jen, Tish, Marta, and Bethany. Blogging is great: the best part is entertaining people (that's what I hope to accomplish) and the second-best part is making these new friends who enrich my life.

None of that has anything to do with what I'm about to write, but you know I digress. So SH and I went to San Francisco for his work trip and my vacation to see my SF friends, the main one of whom is Kim, who is the wife of my friend Luke from grad school. The network of friends expands through marriage. I can't think of any of my friends' spouses whom I do not like, although SH has an old friend who is not my favorite, probably because this friend told SH not to marry me. Ha. He did. I win.

Kim is my pedicure friend - any time I go to SF, we get a pedicure and then go to the consignment stores. We usually find some nice things, although consignment in the Bay Area is a lot more expensive than in Milwaukee. I went to a consignment store in Menlo Park (after my lunch with Lisa) where there were used items - used clothes! - that cost over $300. I suppose it was a bargain over the original price, but still. Three hundred dollars? For something that someone else has worn? That's a little much for my blood, but then, I work with people who wear jeans to work, so I don't need to spend that much to look better than they do.

Yes, I am a competitive dresser. I might not be as fancy as some others, but I do know to cover my shoulder blades and my bosom at work and I wear dresses or a skirt and a jacket. High heels. But heels only in the office - to walk to the bus stop, I wear walking shoes because I am not stupid. I don't like pain and I do not intend to ruin my Ferragamos by wearing out the soles on the sidewalk.

Back to Kim. Kim and Luke invited us to stay in their guest apartment. It's a small studio apartment under their house. Only one window, which was fabulous for me, because light wakes me up if the cats don't and if I am away from the cats and not on a schedule, I want to sleep as late as possible. Super quiet. Kim runs a school for toddlers and the kids started arriving at 8 a.m., but we didn't hear a thing.

She showed us to the room. Beautifully decorated. Comfy, cozy bed. Anything you might need in the bathroom: toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo. A kitchenette stocked with cookies, chocolate, tea, coffee, beer, vodka, popcorn, and mandarin oranges.

And the best thing of all: the latest issue of People magazine on the TV stand, along with a bowl of sea salt chocolates.

This is not how you stock a guest room unless you want your guests never to leave. This is not the guest room of someone with the "Fish/rotting/three days" philosophy.

But this is the guest room Kim has. It is the perfect bait to get me to return. I might go there and never leave. I will sit on the bed, reading People, eating chocolate, and contemplating my pedicured toes.

PS I note also that my friend Bonnie always has chocolate and several issues of People in her guest room, as well. SH and I are very lucky to have such lovely friends.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I am so glad I found your blog through Lisa. You definitely have a way with words.

Pam said...

There is an art to hosting, including stocking a guest room and bath. Kudos to your friends, and I'm glad you got to enjoy their efforts.

Happy new year!

Jen on the Edge said...

I just gasped out loud when I read that I made your list of people to meet. :-)