Monday, March 31, 2014

Marriage 601, Lecture 875: Lift me up and pour me out

Our microwave has decided to work part time. This has added some spontaneity and stress to our lives, as we are quite reliant on the microwave, SH more than I, as until I met him (and when I was not at my mom and dad's house), I led a microwave-free life.

Before, if we wanted to heat something, we popped it into the microwave and voila! it was hot!

But now, it might get hot. Or it might not. One never knows. One might have to send the item back to the microwave.

SH is speculating that it might be a something issues, as in, the "on" button doesn't always connect. I mean, it sounds like the microwave is working, but perhaps there is some connection that isn't being made - the connection that actually leads to imparting heat (or, to be technical, activating the waves that agitate the item).

That might be the case. I don't know. I just want something that works. However, there are a lot of workarounds. Ie, from the school that is old, ie, our stove.

Yes, a stove works just fine for heating things, as does a toaster oven.

But SH - he wants more.

We have recently entered a new chapter in our coffee lives. I make my coffee with a cafetera, on the stove, and SH heats water in the microwave and pours it through a filter into a container just like the one David Lebovitz has here.

We started this new coffee approach because the coffee machine died.

What has happened to American industry that we can no longer make a machine that lasts longer than a few years?

We found a workaround. SH uses a pyrex container and my meat thermometer to heat the water. He has finally figured out that it takes the water nine minutes to heat to 200 degrees.

But yesterday, he heated the water and after nine minutes, it was not hot. It was not even lukewarm.

I had noticed the same thing the night before - I had heated some soup only it didn't get hot. I had to try it again.

The second time, the water got hot.

Now, on Day 2, the microwave still isn't working.

SH: I need to get one of those little water heater things.

Me: What?

SH: You know - the kind that plugs in. An electric kettle.

Me: But we have kettles. We have pots.

SH: I mean the electric kind.

Me: Why can't we just heat water in a pot on the stove?

SH: Because I have to control the pot!

Me: You can control the pots we have.

SH: But they don't have a spout! That would just be dumping!

6 comments:

Marsha said...

You are right. But so is he. Everyone needs an electric kettle. I learned this after staying in a tiny apartment in Paris and watching my Brit husband smile when he saw it and promptly prepared for a cup of tea. I bought one as soon as I could after returning home. It is worth the counter space.

mephyle said...

Heh, @Marsha, I grew up in Canada, another land of electric kettles – we received three as shower and wedding presents – but then we moved to another land where electricity is much more expensive than gas for the stove, and sent the electric kettles out to pasture.
CF, our first microwave (in the days of the first microwaves) was a Big Decision and a Big Investment. A couple decades later, when it was time to replace it, we discovered that they are not such a big deal – you just go to the store and pick one at random, and it’s not expensive. Sadly, they don’t seem to make them any more with the smart program our first one had, where it detected steam coming out of the heated food and figured out all by itself how long to heat it for.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but wonder...why not just replace the microwave? Or is that a *project* like moving the uneven pictures?
Kris

Class factotum said...

Kris, we will be replacing the microwave. But we want to replace the stove with a gas stove, which means restoring the gas line that used to run to the kitchen but was cut years ago, which means Big Project. The microwave is built in above the stove so we want to do everything at the same time. There will be Drama.

Joy said...

Electric kettles are glorious. That said, I do not have one, because they take counter space, and I live in New York, and a stovetop teakettle can live comfortably atop the stove.

And yes, it is true that American industry (and Chinese, German, etc) no longer makes machines that last. We ended up buying a 1947 vintage toaster last year because new toasters are such crap. The 67-year-old toaster may not have a bagel setting, but it makes excellent toast and I have no doubt it will continue to do so for decades to come.

rubiatonta said...

I vote for an electric kettle, too. Mine will boil a whole liter of water in about 45 seconds. Since everything in my kitchen is electric, this is actually a cost savings -- it takes much, much longer to get that quantity of water up to a boil on the stove top, and about three times as long in the microwave. And while you could spend a lot of money on a Russell Hobbs (like the one languishing in my storage unit Stateside), you can find them for about $25 bucks, too.