Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Marriage 501, Lecture 628: How we roll

I would like to discuss an issue with you. One that divides people and ruins marriages. One that sends usually rational people into fits of irrationality. One that has been discussed to death and yet we are no closer to a resolution than we were decades ago.

It's not even the over/under debate, although that is related. I want to know how a man who is so compelled, so driven by his belief that the paper comes over (I don't disagree with him on that part) that he changes the roll when we are at someone elses' house (I do, however, disagree on that one - you don't mess with someone else's system! That's rude!) can be the same man who thinks that leaving a roll with one square of paper on it is acceptable.

That photo above shows how SH left the bathroom. He used all but one square of paper on the roll and thought that he satisfied his moral obligation by getting a new roll of TP from the linen closet and leaving it on the shelf.

He's not doing it right.

Not actually putting the new roll on the spindle is the moral equivalent of putting the milk back in the fridge with just one tablespoon of milk in it.

What say you? Is SH WRONG on this?





10 comments:

Georgia said...

Yes, he is wrong. Is this worse than changing the roll and tossing the cardboard in the general direction of the waste can? If I were you, I would think about changing the roll under. Then my better self would prevail, though I might smile to myself, often, at the memory of what I might have done. I'm going to smile for you. :-).

Anonymous said...

I well remember the female lead on "Married With Children" fuming "Ten seconds...It takes exactly ten seconds to change the roll on the toilet paper holder".

Later on, I timed it --- and she is right.

fin

Gracie's Mom said...

You are right, and your husband should be ashamed. Good thing you have this blog to bolster your position and show him the error of his ways! :-)

laura Madalene said...

That looks great - I would have loved to win it!! I am always looking for new home decor ideas. I'll be back to read more in the future.
living-room-ideas

John0 Juanderlust said...

Just today, I discretely switched the roll around at a friend's house. Wrong is wrong. They should have it right in the bath that company uses.
He's right.
This way you have one full roll, PLUS one square readily available for your convenience. I'll bet you didn't even say Thank You!

Marsha said...

I had to think about this carefully - until recently husband and I had separate bathrooms, and the issue didn't arise. However . . . I noticed that I just did what your husband does - left two square of paper on the roll, but I also put a new roll on the back of the tank, within reach when needed. That way, I figure, if you only need a couple of squares, why, there they are, and then you can (and morally, must) put the new roll on the holder. If you need more, you have more, and again, must put the new roll on the holder. There are many conceivable instances in which two sheets of toilet paper are all you need, I believe.

Anonymous said...

Of course he's wrong! What can you do with one square? He definitely should have changed it.

Joy said...

he's so wrong.

evelynne said...

The way my mother handled this situation, which I think is genius, is that she changed the roll and rested the almost-empty roll on top of the new one. It usually fits neatly in that little ditch created by the roll and the back of the holder. That way the next person takes the one or two squares left on the old roll and the new one is right there ready to go.

babeck said...

My vote is "He's not doing it right!"!! One square isn't good for anything.... I like evelynne's mother's solution & it's one I use except of course in the "guest" bathroom....