Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Marriage 601, Lecture 53: It's not in the contract

SH: Sweetie, I was just in the bathroom. The toilet needs to be cleaned.

Me: Really?

SH: It's dirty. Not the regular kind but like if someone put dust in it.

Me: Hmmmm.

SH: So maybe you need to clean it.

Me: Hmmmmm.

SH: Because it's dirty.

Me: Uh huh.

SH: Or --

Me: Yes?

SH: Maybe I can clean it.

Me: Maybe.

SH: But I clean the upstairs toilet!

[1. That is the toilet in the bathroom next to his office.
2. As in, it is the only other toilet in the house. I don't really need to specify that it is in the bathroom next to his office - it is just the other  bathroom.
3. I once visited the house of a woman in Junior League with me in Memphis and saw that she had five bathrooms. She also had two refrigerators, one just for drinks kept next to the back door by the pool. "Because the kids come in from the pool and want a drink and I don't want them tracking water into the kitchen." Right. So the solution is to buy another fridge. My mom's solution would have been to tell us to dry off before coming into the house.
4. He might clean it sometimes, but I do it often enough - especially when we have company, because in addition to being the Bathroom by the Office, it is also The Bathroom by the Guest Room - that I count as the Official Toilet and Bathroom Cleaner of the House.]

Me: I also clean the upstairs toilet.

SH: I guess I can clean it.

Me: That would be nice.

No comments: