Friday, June 20, 2014

Marriage 601, Lecture 678: Fear not the bleach

SH: Would you help me?

Me: Depends.

SH: My t-shirt! I spilled red wine on it last night!

Me: Oh, that's easy. As long as you haven't put it in the dryer. You didn't put it in the dryer, did you?

SH: No. I went online and did some research and saw that I should try baking soda on it. I made a paste of baking soda and water and all that did was make it kind of purple.

Me: Why didn't you just use bleach?

SH: No! I am scared of bleach!

Me: But bleach is what will get it out.

SH: And then I tried Shout, but that didn't work, either.

Me: Why didn't you just use bleach?

SH: Bleach is scary.

Me: But bleach is wonderful. Bleach is what gets red wine out of white shirts.

SH: I don't know how to use bleach.

Me: Yet another thing your mother did not teach you.

SH: Will you fix it?

Me: Yes. I will use bleach.

SH: But that will ruin the shirt!

Me: No, it won't. Bleach is our friend.

And lo, soaking the shirt overnight in a solution of one tablespoon of bleach plus a bowlful of water did, indeed, remove the stain and now SH thinks I am amazing, which I suppose is nice, but I don't really want to be revered for my laundering abilities.

3 comments:

wellfedfred said...

Nor, heaven forfend, for your ironing....

Anonymous said...

Use Folex. It neutralizes red wine. I bought it at Longs (now CVS) . I saw it take red wine out of white carpeting.

babeck said...

Oh, myyyy... I swear by my bottles of Wine Away to get red wine stains out of clothes, carpet, etc!!! We have one in Ca & one in Wi and two travel size (one in my car & one in my travel bag). Be prepared..LOL!