Monday, August 11, 2014

Goth Girl and Goth Boy, 10

Goth Girl and Goth Boy were on the bus today. She was wearing black and gray. He was wearing black and gray. He removed his backpack before sitting, which is not his usual practice. Why today? Why the change in habit? Did he finally think, before sitting, "You know, I might be more comfortable if I don't have a backpack behind me, pushing me forward?" Who knows what happens in the mind of a teenager?

GG didn't talk. She was scribbling furiously with her left hand in a green, spiral-bound notebook. GB looked ahead, listened to his music. He coughed, yawned. He was unshaven. 

It was a companionable silence, not a tense one. The kind of silence I imagine that couples who have been married for a while have. The kind that couples who are not like SH and me have. SH and I do not have companionable silence. We have times where I am trying to tell a story and SH just wants me to get to the point already and I explain that the story is the point. We also have times where SH is talking about politics (ie, always) and I am trying to get him to stop talking about politics and reminding him that he tricked me by not telling me before we married that he would become this involved in politics.

However, we also do not have the silence described in the movie "Best in Show" where Jennifer Coolidge (aka "The Bend and Snap Chick") is married to a very, very old man who doesn't talk. "We can talk or not talk," she says. "We have a lot in common. We both like soup."

Where was I? So GG and GB sit quietly for about ten minutes and then he bumps her with his shoulder and she bumps back and they repeat. Then she scratches his back with her right hand and smiles. 

They return to stillness, but 30 seconds later, GB reaches over and tickles GG's leg and she laughs and grabs his hand. 

We reach their stop. GB grabs one of GG's bags and then lifts his backpack with the same hand and carries both items off the bus. Gallant.



Full Best in Show quotation:

Sherri Ann Cabot: [Discussing her 80 year old husband who's 44 years her senior] Leslie and I have an amazing relationship and it's very physical, he still pushes all my buttons. People say 'oh but he's so much older than you' and you know what, I'm the one having to push him away. We have so much in common, we both love soup and snow peas, we love the outdoors, and talking and not talking. We could not talk or talk forever and still find things to not talk about. 

2 comments:

LPC said...

Some romance from you! Oh my gosh:).

susan burpee said...

I think I know these kids! Lovely post.