Monday, August 18, 2014

Goth Girl and Goth Boy, 11

Saw my favorite bus driver, Gwen C, this afternoon. We always chat. She is the nicest lady in the world. She is the one who waited for me the day I was at the stop by City Hall that was actually closed and I hadn't noticed because I was too busy trying not to freeze to death. I noticed about ten seconds before the bus was supposed to arrive that I was in the wrong place and an entire block away from the next place the bus really would stop, so I started running in the snow with my heavy coat and snow boots and gym bag and purse and the bus pulled up and then passed me and stopped way ahead on the corner. I thought I was going to miss it and be stuck downtown in the cold for another 30 minutes, but the bus waited. And waited.

When I got to the bus, out of breath, I saw it was Gwen driving. I thanked her for waiting and she said, "I recognized you all the way back there. Of course I waited for you."

So she is my bud and I saw her today because I was on an early bus. I asked her if she ever drove GG and GB home. I see them only in the mornings - I have never seen them in the afternoon. Gwen drives an afternoon shift, so it's possible that she might have seen them.

I described them and their situation - they had been together but now they're not and it looks like she's been punishing him - "Oooh, he's in the doghouse!" Gwen said - but might be relenting a bit.

"Why do you think they broke up?" she asked.

"I don't know," I told her. "Have you seen them? We need more information."

No, she has not seen them. But she wants to know what's going on.

"You wouldn't believe the things people tell me," she said. "They get on this bus and tell me things about their lives and I just go um, um, um."

"You're like a priest," I said. "You're anonymous and safe."

She laughed. "They just need someone to tell their troubles to, I guess."

She will be on the lookout for GG and GB.

No comments: