Wednesday, September 10, 2014
The working life: Saving money and saving the planet by bicycling to work
1. Pair of biking gloves, $12
2. Workout pants that are snug to the ankle so I don't have to secure the cuffs with binder clips, $40 for two pair
3. Backpack to carry my clothes and lunch to work, $2.99 at Goodwill
4. Spare inner tubes, $12
5. New helmet after I broke the old one, $34.95
6. ER bill after I skidded on the wet pavement and wiped out, probably close to $3,000 but I don't know yet because they haven't put it together, but it was already at $1,500 for the CT scan. Who knows what the doc charges will be?
7. Cupcakes delivered to the guy who found me face down in the grass near the only manhole cover - the only hard item for dozens of square yards - and who took me to urgent care, called SH, and then moved my bike to someplace safe. He wanted to call an ambulance, but I was cogent enough to tell him no, I have a $2,500 deductible on my insurance. Cupcakes, $39
By the way, I am fine. Nothing broken, no permanent damage, just some bruises and a rather rakish-looking scar in my eyebrow. I was back on the bike two days later.