Friday, October 03, 2014

Wisconsin 101: The perfect catsitter

SH and I went out of town for a Saturday night. We weren't planning on leaving until about 4 p.m. on Saturday, so I emailed our catsitter - the adorable 14 year old boy who lives down the street from us - that we would need him to feed the cats Saturday evening and Sunday morning. He knows they eat at about 5 p.m. 

SH was at some thing Saturday after lunch, so the car was gone. I had taken a shower but hadn't bothered to get dressed. I was still in my robe because it was Saturday and I could. I was on the phone with SH - he was stopping at Aldi on his way home from his thing - when I heard a key in the lock of the back door.

I knew it wasn't SH because I was on the phone with him.


I walked to the kitchen and looked at the back door. It opened.

The catsitter stepped in. Looked up. His eyes flew open. 

"We're not leaving until about 4," I said.

"I'm sorry!" he said. "I'll come back later." He blushed and closed the door and locked it again.

I didn't even think to ask him why he was there. It was just so odd.

I wrote him a quick email. 

"Sorry for the confusion!" I said. I explained that we don't feed the cats until 5.

I told SH. "I think he knows when the cats eat," he said. "What if he was coming over just to see the cats?"

I thought about that idea. Last summer, while we were gone, the catsitter turned on the air conditioning for a while every day because he was worried it was too hot for the cats. SH got a little cranky about that - air conditioning a house just for cats - a house with open windows - but I reminded him that a catsitter who is worried about the comfort of our cats is a catsitter we want.

Then the catsitter's mom told me that the catsitter had vacuumed before we returned home. I couldn't tell because the cats shed so much that the only time our house is cat-hair free is December and that is about the only good thing about December,  but I still thought it was a really nice thing for him to do.

SH and I went out of town. Came back. The cats were happy and had been fed. 

The next day, I got an email from the catsitter:
 
You're not the one that needs to apologize! I know that I should feed the cats around dinner time, and I do. But that afternoon I was watching a re-run on the Animal planet that featured kittens and after I just wanted to have one in my lap. It's embarrassing. Anyway, sorry for jumping the gun by coming before you even left! I hope it wasn't that big of a deal. 
 Could he be any cuter? SH was right - he just wanted to hang out with the cats.

5 comments:

smalltownme said...

He's perfect.

Anonymous said...

That is an adorable story! Your catsitter is AWESOME.

I catsit for my friends, and I wait on their kitties forepaw and backpaw when their people are gone. After all, if their people get to go have fun, shouldn't the kitties get to, too? It's not like their people even asked permission to leave or anything, either! lol

Gaylin said...

Yes, that is the catsitter you want. What a nice boy.

Evelynne said...

That is SO SWEET!!! What a lovely young man.

Epicure68 said...

If your cat sitter was about 20 years older and lived closer to me, I'd marry him on the spot.