Wednesday, December 03, 2014

The working life with engineers: Not the smartest kid in the class

Here is what I am thankful for:

I am not the smartest person in the office.

I am not sure I ever was, but I can tell you for absolute positive sure that I am NOT the smartest one at my new job, because I work with a bunch of really, really smart people. And they all want to do cool things and do a good job and it is a joy to work there.

Except for the lack of windows and the location - out in the burbs with no sidewalks.

But besides that, it is a great place to work. I like working with smart people. I like being around smart people. It makes me feel smarter just to absorb all that smart energy.

How do I know I am around smart people?

Here are some of the things I have not had to explain to my current group of co-workers or boss. Actually, let me be more specific. These are things I have not had to explain to my boss. Blesshisheart.

1. Slovakia and Slovenia are not the same country. They're not. Look it up if you don't believe me.

2. I know it is illegal to do business in sanctioned countries and I know it is illegal to do business in South Sudan and it is not my fault that the Cairo office signed a contract with South Sudan. I know I am in charge of the Cairo office, but you, my dear boss, signed the deal with the Cairo office and we explained to them in writing in which countries they were to operate. South Sudan was not on that list. I did not think that it was necessary to explain to them that they were NOT TO OPERATE OUTSIDE OF THE CONTRACT.

3. It is illegal to recognize revenue for official accounting reports until the service or product has been delivered. What this means, boss, and OK fine, get someone from accounting to come over and confirm what I am telling you but I tell you the truth, is that even if a customer gives us $100,000 two days before the end of the fiscal year for a series of classes that do not start until after the fiscal year, we cannot show that $100,000 in this year's earnings. I mean, you can if you want to, but it will be your signature on that financial report and you will be the one going to the big house. I will put it in writing up and down the reporting chain that I warned you not to do it.

4.  What is social media. I have not had to explain to anyone at my current job what social media is. I have not had anyone at my current job ask me two days before a big conference to put together a huge communications plan for the Cairo office - communicating what, I am not sure, then sit in his office, along with the communications director, who wrote most of the plan, explain exactly what we plan to do with facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn, only to arrive at the end of the report and be asked, "But what about that social media? Are you doing anything with that?"

1 comment:

Agile Phalanges said...

Oh man, #3. I work in accounting, and have had to explain the opposite to so many managers. That no, just because you don't plan to PAY for ___ until next fiscal year, if you received the goods or services now, it will go against your budget now. Sorry, Charlie.