Friday, January 02, 2015

The working life: Someone agrees with me, without question, without hassle

You guys, I had the oddest experience at work the other day. It was about 10:00 a.m. I was still wearing my big fluffy down coat, even though I was inside, because I was cold.

I am almost always cold.

I live in the wrong place.

So I was wearing my coat and I walked over by the copy machine. Madeline, the admin for the VP, saw me and asked if I was cold.

I told her I was.

She asked if she should call maintenance and have them turn the heat up.

Stop.

Think about that.

She asked if she should have the heat turned up.

She did not tell me it was not cold.

She did not tell me I was not cold.

She did not ask how I could  possibly be cold.

She just believed me that I was cold and tried to solve the problem.

SHE BELIEVED ME THAT I WAS COLD.

She did not try to tell me not to feel cold. She did not try to convince me that I was not cold. She did not try to invalidate my experience.

And it was so odd. I am so accustomed to people not believing that I feel what I feel. (I am looking at you, SH, who has the metabolism of a blast furnace and is never cold.)

I told Madeline no, I did not want her to call maintenance - that even if I am cold, most people are usually comfortable. (The last time the doctor took my temperature - this was for a physical, not because I was sick - it was 95.6. I definitely live in the wrong place.) But I was so happy that I did not have to argue with her that YES! I was COLD! She just agreed and wanted to help.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Where I work, maintenance comes around and points their little portable temperature sensor at the heater and then tells us that it isn't too cold. I had no heater in my room, so they had to go to my boss's inside office to find out the temperature of her radiator to come back out and tell me that it wasn't too cold in my office. I don't think I have to tell you this, but the temperature of a metal radiator is not comparable to the temperature of the air in my office, and I finally purchased a thermometer to prove it. I'll admit that I'm regularly a lot colder than anyone else around me, but coming in to a 52-degree room every morning when it is sub-zero outside doesn't help you warm up much.

I agree that being told regularly that you can't possibly be as cold as you actually are is ridiculous. When you work in an office where you have to sit in front of a computer all day, you don't have much movement to warm you up in an already cold office. :(