Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Marriage 701, Lecture 23: How to drive an engineer crazy

Morning
SH: Oh no! There is a problem!

Me: Is it something I will even care about?

SH: Maybe.

Me [ continue working]

Me [continue working - I refuse to ask "What?" about something I know I am probably not going to care about. SH's definition of problem is not like my definition.]

SH: I can't find the other pink sock!

Me: What?

SH: In the laundry! I put the clothes in the dryer but one of the socks is missing and I don't know if it never made it into the washing machine or if it is stuck inside something else. Where is it?

Me: I don't care.

SH: But we have to know!

Me: It will turn up.

Ten minutes later
SH: I still can't find it!

Me [working]

Afternoon
SH: I still can't find it!

Me: Find what?

SH: The sock! I put away all the laundry and it wasn't anywhere!

Me: Oh no.

SH: The problem is that I can't even assign blame. It could be my fault that the sock is lost.

He is saying this as he is opening and closing all my drawers, looking under the bed, and looking under the nightstand.

SH: This is really bothering me. The whole process can't even move forward until I can diagnose what happened - that has to happen before I can assign blame. [No, I really don't understand what he meant there.]

2 comments:

Georgia said...

You write my life!

Class factotum said...

Georgia, I have said before we need to form a support group!