Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Marriage 701, Lecture 653: Engineers and the Point of the Story

Had this conversation with a co-worker about a feature on a product.


From: Factotum, Class
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:15 PM
To: Coworker, Engineer
Subject: Red dot

So when I see this line on my draft –
         The [product feature] gives users access to real-time data about [product] that can otherwise only be seen by walking the line and looking for red dots.
 all I can think about is my cat and her relentless pursuit of the Red Dot.

From: Coworker, Engineer
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:26 PM
To: 
Factotum, Class
Subject: RE: 
Red dot

Ha!  I suppose she gets a treat when she catches it assuming we are talking about the same  (my dog does J i.e. laser pointer) and not a restaurant in Milwaukee, or …  

It really should say (red) Fault LED’s J

Have a good evening!
Engineer
  
From: Factotum, Class
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:28 PM
To: 
Coworker, Engineer
Subject: RE: 
Red dot

That Red Dot is right down the street from us and every time we pass it, my husband and I nod knowingly – Shirley would love that place.

From: Coworker, Engineer
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:29 PM
To: Factotum, Class
Subject: RE: Red dot

Wondered about that ;-)  Try a laser pointer and see if you cat tries to catch it – great fun!

From: Factotum, Class
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:28 PM
To: 
Coworker, Engineer
Subject: RE: 
Red dot

Oh yes! She loves the laser pointer!


“It is real. It can be caught.”



And then I related this story to SH, who, as you may remember, is an engineer.

What do you, dear reader who has had more than a few years of education, including reading in third and fourth grade, think is the main idea of this story?

What is the essential point?

If you were taking an Iowa Basic Skills test today and had to read this passage to identify the main idea (I don't remember if Iowa Basic Skills tests cover reading - I do remember that it covered what a box looks like when it is laid flat and I had to figure out what it looked like folded up and I got only 80th percentile on that, which meant I really didn't have a future in any career that involved depth perception and creative visualization, or at least in folding up boxes), what would you say is the main idea?

1. What happens in a factory
2. What kind of food they serve at the Red Dot
3. Shirley likes to chase laser dots
4. The laser dot at our house is not red, it is purple.

If you picked option 3, you would be correct.

That is the point of the story.

Shirley likes to chase the laser dot.

If you picked option 4, you would be SH.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Being an ex-writing teacher, I picked 5 - editing a draft of some sort. But, yes, 4 for an engineer is so true, I can only shake my head that I never see it coming!