Friday, May 01, 2015

Marriage 701, Lecture 764: Kitchen opimization

Me: What are you doing?

SH: Putting away the beaters from the mixer.

Me: But why are you putting them there? [In the drawer in the island]

SH: Because that's where they fit best.

Me: Look at the utensils that are already there.

SH: Yes?

Me: Do you notice anything about them?

SH: Like what?

Me: Does any pattern strike you? Look at the other drawer [the one behind the island and next to the kitchen sink and hence, not so useful if you are working at the island, which is where I work].

SH: Nope.

Me: The stuff in the island drawer is stuff I use the most.

SH: So?

Me: How often do I use the hand mixer?

SH: I don't know.

Me: OK. How often do I make cakes?

SH: Not that often.*

Me: I have things organized by frequency of use.

SH: But the beaters fit better in the island drawer.

Me: But that's not the logical place to put them! I have the things I use all the time here!

SH: But I organize by what fits where.

Me: And I organize by pareto. 




* Sadly. Although for Easter, I made this ground walnut chocolate cake that used half of the ground walnuts in the freezer - I have been trying to use inventory - and then two pounds of chocolate, two cups of cream, and two sticks of butter that were not in inventory.

1 comment:

webb said...

Anything with two POUNDS of chocolate in it is worth a trip to the market!