Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Marriage 701, Lecture 632: Life with an engineer

SH: Where has Clara been?

Me: Who?

SH: Clara. Our next door neighbor.

Me: I don't know. How do you know she's gone?

SH: Because her car is all covered with leaves and dust.

Me: What?

SH: It's been sitting in the driveway.

Me: I don't even pay attention to their cars! Besides, how do you know it's her car?

SH: Because Clara drives a [whatever] and Chloe drives a [other whatever].

Me: You actually know what kind of cars our neighbors drive? And you know which car belongs to which one?

SH: Yes.

The 'yes' was said with a tone of, "What? Is this not normal? Doesn't everybody know this kind of information about his neighbors?"

No. They do not.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh, this is so us! I MIGHT know the color of a friend's car or the make if it's really unique, like a Cooper Mini, but otherwise I have no clue. Maybe car blindness comes with the XX chromosomes like dust/clutter blindness comes with XY?

Cleo from Jersey said...

Sorry to disappoint, but I know my neighbors cars and who drives which one; and they know who drives all of our cars. We're not offended by this kind of awareness, because we all look out for one another, and when things seem strangely different, we pay extra attention to make sure everything is okay!

Hoya said...

Not only do I know this for my neighbors, I know it for many of my co-workers as well. I like cars, so I pay attention. I don't think this is a gender thing or an engineer thing (I'm female; I'm not an engineer).