Friday, June 26, 2015

Marriage 701, Lecture 986: The importance of plates




SH: If you're home by yourself long enough, the plates get out of order.

Me: What?

SH: The two plates that don't match the rest of the set. They need to be on top of the stack, all the time.

Me: Why?

SH: So they get used the most and so if we do break one, we break one of the plates that doesn't match.

Me: That's nuts.

SH: I always keep those two at the top of the stack! You weren't even aware of that? You are definitely not doing it right!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just donate them to a thrift store? When I got rid of dishes and glasses that annoyed me I felt better.

magda said...

This might be the opposite of what you are looking for but he's got a point - or at the very least he's not the only one who does that, I do it as well and I'm not an engineer (although I am the daughter of one).

Class factotum said...

Anon, if we donate the mismatched plates then we won't have a set of eight. It has been seven years since we had eight people at once at our house for dinner, but SH would be very stressed at the idea of an incomplete set.

Magda! If you can't agree with me that SH is wrong, you shouldn't be here! :)

Anonymous said...

Being the Devil`s Advocate (just to annoy SH) a set of eight with two mismatched plates means you actually have an incomplete set of eight.

What you really have is a complete set of six :-)


Francesca

Hoya said...

I'm the opposite - I hate using the same dishes all the time (only 2 of us in the house) so I'll reorder plates & coffee mugs (the items we use most) regularly so we use all of them....