Monday, June 29, 2015

Wisconsin 101: They talk different here

I was talking to one of the guys who works at city hall. Discovered he was from Alabama.

Guy: I moved here when I was 14.

Me: That must have been a shock - to be a black person in Milwaukee and to be someplace so cold.

Guy: It WAS! I asked for a pop and they didn't know what I wanted!

[Which I thought was odd because I thought "pop" was a northern thing, but I don't curate his experience.]

Guy: The clerk asked if I meant a soda and I didn't know. I said I wanted Jungle Juice and she said, "Oh! You want juice! It's back there."

Me: It's different up here.

Guy: Plus where I'm from, we were real country. But it's different here. Everything is different.

Me: Food.

Guy: Food. I think the greens are better down there - you know, because of the earth.

Me: If grapes can make wine taste different because of where they are grown, I don't see why mustard greens can't be the same. My friend came from Memphis to visit and she brought me a suitcase full of mustard greens.

Guy: I bet they were good.

Me: Hey. Do you know the expression "put your foot in it?"

Guy: Of course.

Me: I made some brownies for an IT guy at work when I lived in Memphis and he sent me an email that I had put my foot in them. I thought he was saying my brownies were bad.

Guy: No! It's a compliment!

Me: You're sure? I saw a Tyler Perry movie where Madea said something like that.

Guy: It's like when you make some mustard greens that are so good and your granny say, "Child! You put your FOOT in those doggone GREENS!" It means they are real good.

No comments: