Friday, September 11, 2015

Life with an engineer #24

Me: This new computer is just as slow as the old one!

SH: That can't be!

Me: It is.

SH: But that's impossible!

Me: No it's not.

SH: But it's impossible!

Me: I am telling you that it is slower.

SH: But how can that be?

Me: I don't know.

SH: There is no way.

Me: I. Am. Telling. You. It. Is.

SH: But I set up that new network.

Me: Shirley 5?

SH: Yes.

Me: But it's on Shirley.

SH: That can't be!

Me: Should I switch to Shirley 5?

SH: How did it get on Shirley?

Me: I don't know. Should I switch?

SH: That new computer should not even know the password to the Shirley network!

Me: Whatever. Should I switch?

SH: How did that happen?

Me: I don't care! I just want to solve the problem!

SH: Solving the problem means understanding how it happened.

Me: I just want to fix it. Right now, I don't care why it happened.

SH: You are not using the engineer's approach to problem solving.

No comments: