Friday, October 23, 2015

Marriage 801, Lecture 34: Working for The Man



How it worked before I got married:

Every January, I would sit down with my files and pull all the bills from the previous year - phone, utilities, credit card, insurance. I would keep the last statement in each category, the one that showed I was current with the account, and take the rest of the statements to work, where I would feed them into the shredder. I would feel a great sense of accomplishment. I like tidying things. I like discarding the past. I like eliminating clutter. (Except for investment statements and tax returns - those I keep.)

I controlled the amount of paper and clutter in my house and It Was Good. My house was clean and tidy and uncluttered and unpapered.

How it works now:

Every January, I open the file cabinet I had to buy once SH and I were married because there were more files.

I remove the previous year files from their folders and put them in a folder called "PY bills."

I take what was in the "PY bills" folder and put it in a plastic bag, then put that bag into a bin in the basement.

(In January 2015, I kept all the 2014 bills in the "PY bills" folder and put the 2013 bills in the bag.)

I ask SH if he would please consider getting rid of the old bills.

Remember, I am asking this of the man who moved his 1997 phone bills from California to his apartment in Milwaukee and then to our house. In 2008.

Phone. Bills.

From the previous decade. From a house where he no longer lived. In a state where he no longer lived.

The man is a hard nut to crack.

For our anniversary this year, I pulled the bin from the basement.

I asked him to please check through the contents as I wanted to take everything to the shredding day at the library.

And he did it. (Which, frankly, he should not have had to do. Just the fact that 1. I told him it was old bills and 2. he has not had to go into that bin once since we moved into this house should be reason enough and I have to agree with my sister sometimes when she says, "I spent my whole adult life finding someone to marry only to discover that it is a lot easier to live alone" because I managed my financial life very well before I ever got married and I do not like having to discuss this kind of baloney. /Rant over)

And now all of these documents will be shredded.

Amen.


2 comments:

webb said...

Perhaps a compromise ... You keep the bills the extra year and then IF SH has not needed them in the intervening year, YOU take them to the shredder, skipping the step where SH has to look thru all of them. It might make you feel a bit more in control.

Your old system works just fine. Have used it for years.

Anonymous Mother said...

You will be pleased to know that today I threw away the old software CDs from the Gateway 2000 computer.

You're welcome.